Before we had Mabel, we thought we were totally done having babies. Like…. got-rid-of-all-the-baby-gear done. So when I found out I was expecting, and realized we were starting from zero again, it was a bit overwhelming. While I wanted to make sure her arrival was as smooth as possible, I also wanted to keep the purchases to a minimum, knowing that she would be our caboose. I kept my list short and borrowed what I could (and then frantically bought a few things in the wee hours of the morning after she was born, realizing that a rocking chair in the nursery actually was essential for a reflux baby who didn’t sleep much!) So, if you’ve found yourself in the same predicament, or if it’s your first and you want some hot leads, see below for some of my favorites!
1. Snuggle Me Organic Lounger: This was a must for me. I took it on trips, co-slept with it while recovering from a C section, and basically moved it with me from room to room those first few months. Mabel loved being swaddled up on it, and I loved the minimal design and soft, washable slip cover.
2. Bloom Lounger: This was another room-to-room traveler. Because Mabel had reflux, she liked being propped up a bit in this, and when she got too old for it, I was actually sad to part with it because it was so pretty.
3. Babyletto Crib: We hadn’t had a crib in the house for a few years, so I was excited to get one that I actually loved. The price seems especially fair considering it converts into a toddler and day bed.
4. Tubby Todd: This is one of my favorite sets to gift to new Moms. It’s got it all, and if your little one has sensitive skin like mine always seem to have, this is the brand.
5. Solly Wrap, Crib Sheets, and Sleepers: Can’t say enough good things about the Solly Wrap for those first couple months, especially if you have older kids you’re keeping up with or a baby who is only happy being held! Also, I was excited to buy their modal sleeper sets and crib sheets that weren’t around when my olders’ were babies. Softest fabric ever!
6. PUJ Tub: When I first had my oldest, I was gifted one of those giant plastic tubs that you put INSIDE your real tub. It was fine, except it took up so.much.space. So then I decided to graduate to the bath sponge they sell at Target. After a while, wringing out cold, probably bacteria-filled water after each bath started to gross me out. Needless to say, I was excited to finally have a bath gadget that didn’t take up a lot of space or potentially grow mold. 😉
7. BIBS usa pacifiers: Mabel preferred the shape of these, and you can’t beat the beautiful colors they come in.
8. 12 pack Gauze Burp Cloths: I’ve bought these with every baby as “emergency burp cloths” to keep in my diaper bag. After experiencing a baby with reflux though, these were promoted from “backup” to “necessity” when leaving the house.
9. Leader Diaper Bag: Would you believe me if I told you this was my very first time buying a diaper bag in over 10 years? I’ve always used a big purse, but decided it was time to see what all the fuss was about. Turns out, it was the pockets! THAT’S what all the fuss was about! I loved the look of these Leader Bags, and one whole year later, I’m so shocked how clean and new my cream style still looks!
10. Maxi Cosi Car Seat + Stroller: After putting some Facebook feelers out there, this travel system came back highly-reviewed. The design and colors were pretty, too. 😉